Tuesday, September 13, 2022

8/31-9/1/22 tomatoes, natsuriums, tomatillos, volunteer cantaloupe. Too much Kale

Volunteer cantaloupe. Have never planted this item in any of my gardens. 
Tomatillos are happy in large pots. 5 gallon pails might be a little small but they are still doing ok.
Blue spice basil from free seed packet growing very well and smells nice. A lot nicer than regular basil.
Nasturiums are a good, peppery, summer green with a tender leaf. However it needs to mixed with a milder lettuce for salad. Haven't gotten around to cooking it yet. Very easy to grow.
Sedums and Bob's rhubarb doing well.
Too much Kale! Next year only let 2-3 volunteer plants grow.

Bees love raspberry blossoms.
 







Lots of tomatoes. New Zealand spinach tastes really good cooked. I don't know if I like eating it's thick, sort of rough texture leaf raw. Although my sister likes it that way. Cooking makes it crisp and juicy. Nice long vine, low growing ground cover. Maybe I should plant it among the rhubarb? It seems to grow pretty well during our fairly hot, humid summers when most greens bolt. Started collecting seeds from probably arugula or mustard. Also dill seeds. I love the smell and taste of dill. Next year I should label the stalks before the leaves fall off. Not bothering to collect the lettuce seeds.









No comments:

Post a Comment