Thursday, June 30, 2022

6/26/22 Temperature in 70s and very windy. Picked a lot of wild strawberries.

Temperature in the 70s. Pretty windy. 20mph west wind. Rhubarb gardens. Blackberries. Alyssum. I planted new zealand spinach to left of alyssum but rabbit ate it.



 






Coldframe. Arugula, mustard, cilantro, claytonia are going to seed. Still getting peas, orache, and new zealand spinach. The orache grows very slow. Patio gardens with mostly tomatoes and peas. Peas are still producing so keeping them a little longer. Rabbit is eating beans. Short row of carrots is growing. Turnips are growing. Wasabi radishes mostly went to seed. This doesn't seem to be a good location for radishes. Chamomile starting to flower.



















Planted a few sedums at northwest corner of house. Easter egg radishes in front circle garden doing well. I really like this radish mix. I didn't think radishes would grow there. Lots of rocks. OK soil. Very weedy. Transplants surviving. Marigolds, alyssum, and ground cherries are growing. All 4 sunflowers seeds sprouted and are growing. Dug out edge so water would run into garden. Hosta garden needs more hostas and less lawn. Clover doing well, Need to move soil so water runs away from basement window. Everything tilts that way.











Walking onions and chives at edge of patio. Lemon balm with I don't know what kind of onion next to it. My sister gave me some seeds that I threw on the ground there and these onions came up. They form bulbs. I was going to move it but it was too well rooted so I'm waiting to see what it does next. Asparagus has little balls on it. Volunteer squash plant probably planted by squirrels or birds from neighbors plants?


















Kale, mustard, turnips, nasturium, dill, peas, radish, mint, turnips, colorado wild spinach. I hope I can get seeds from this colorado wild spinach plant. Its leaves stay thin and it seems to like sun and wind. New zealand spinach leaves get too thick. Turnip and radish leaves are too prickly to eat now. I picked a lot of wild strawberries from driveway garden. More than I want to eat. They are doing a good job of spreading. So I've been removing some of the sedums underneath them for planting in front north garden. I listened to a podcast where they discussed having a wild strawberry lawn. These are very drought tolerant. The soil under them is very dry yet they are still giving tasty small fruit.









No comments:

Post a Comment