Tuesday, June 14, 2022

6/7/22 First peas of the season! Blackberries starting to bloom. Picked a container of greens.

Volunteer mustard at edge of patio. Arugula and Mustard blooming in cold frame. Can't wait to harvest their seeds. Blackberries blooming. The birds planted this plant at our old house and I moved it here. 

















Brussel sprouts still surviving in patio garden. Was going to take a picture of the broccoli in the west garden but couldn't find it. Maybe something ate it. That's why I mix up my plants to try to avoid something eating up an entire garden. Rabbits are still eating my peas but so far they are not touching the magnolia pea.

I think I will be planting perennials in west gardens next year. I'd like to plant gooseberries, short saskatoon blueberries, and maybe honeyberries. I thought about planting regular blueberries but would have to amend the soil to make it more acid on an ongoing basis and that's way too much work. I'll just pick blueberries up north.















Overwintered ancient pepper blooming in cold frame. These actually bloom inside a cold 50F room in winter. Although aphids do love them it's pretty easy to rinse them off.










Need to plant out these sedums to northwest garden area. Ground is carpeted with these tree seeds, including the new north circle garden. Aggressive vining weed is in front garden along driveway fence. I spent at least an hour weeding there.











Recently I listened to a podcast interviewing an author who has a blog https://justgrowityourself.com/blog/ and wrote a book which is not at our library yet. He said home gardens can be more productive than the industrial food system. So I decided to try to record our harvests this year through pictures. 

Picked some peas this morning and later picked peas, radishes, and a container of greens. Keep thinking the green production is going to slow down because summer is coming. But still pretty cool here.




No comments:

Post a Comment