Saturday, October 22, 2022

10/1/22 Summer garden thoughts

This is a plan I will probably keep working on. I want to keep the west garden and patio garden beds and plant hardy low care maybe edible plants in other areas. I need to move the west garden beds out at least one more foot. I enjoy planting flowers and herbs behind those gardens. However once we fence out the rabbits an area of one foot of width is difficult to work in.

 









We had too many tomatoes. Next year just one bed of tomatoes except 2 plants by the neighbors fence for him to eat. I want more variety in the tomatoes so we get them early and into fall. Also I want to order another variety until I find one that is a good storing winter cherry tomato. The tomatoes will be put in northwest garden bed.

The summer greens were heavy on nasturium and kale. We did have green wave mustard with a hot wasabi taste too. I would like a milder lettuce along maybe more arugula in summer. Also more orache and Colorado wild spinach. I hope the seeds I collect sprout. I will have to watch for volunteers too. Maybe I need to grow one bed of greens and one bed of root crops. The new zealand spinach tastes good and crunchy when cooked. I really like red tatsoi. The green is pretty tasty too. I'd like to grow some variety of chinese cabbage so I can experiment making either sauerkraut or kimchi.

Carrots did really well in buckets and just OK in the garden. I am overwintering 4 colorado black carrot plants so I can collect their seeds next year. I plan to move the bucket into the attached garage if my relatives every come and get their stuff.

Peppers came late. I am going to try the overwintered ones in the west patio garden.

I'd like to grow corn and mardi beans in east patio garden.

I wanted to plant herbs like thyme, majoram, and oregano in front of the patio gardens to fight against the creeping charlie. Plus the bees really like them when they flower. However I didn't get around to it this year.

West bedroom garden was too heavy on volunteer Kale. Next year only allow 2 plants to grow. Not sure where I will put them. I want to convert this area to sedums. I think sedums keep down the weeds and help keep water out of the basement. The previous owner put rocks all around the house and it's very hard to mow next to the house. The 2 plants that were left in patio clover patch provide more than enough Kale.

I never can have enough raspberries. However I want to move them from a west garden bed to the northeast driveway garden area. Right now that's just sedums. The south east driveway area is a combination of sedums, wild strawberries transplanted from are lawn, and raspberries. The wild strawberries are spreading well. I am trying to spread them along with sedums in the area between the fence and garage which is weeds and stones.

Next year I want to plant cukes and pickles where the raspberries were. Maybe ground cherries too. Another fruit I really like and can't get enough of.

One of the beds is strawberries from my friend which are growing really well. I think I will let them spread out behind the garden bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment