Wednesday, October 12, 2022

9/18/22 Prepped one cherry tomato plant to overwinter in fridge.

 I'm experimenting with overwintering cherry tomato plants by wrapping the roots in damp, shredded newspaper and storing in fridge's crisper drawer. I'll have to look up the variety and label the ziplock baggie. Saavy Gardener listed 4 ways to do it but I think this will be the easiest way. https://savvygardening.com/can-tomato-plants-survive-winter/

I'm not saving any beef steak and roma tomato plants. We prefer cherry tomatoes. So my next project is to keep experimenting with cherry tomato varieties (that my husband likes the flavor of) to see which ones can be hung in garage or basement so we can keep harvesting tomatoes past first frost. I'd also like to see if I can get tomatoes in May/June. I want to grow some red dwarf cherry tomatoes inside this winter but I haven't ordered the seeds yet. I want to take seed inventory and order for next year all at once.

My husband and I fenced in the two fall crop gardens because rabbits have been eating the plants. However the one foot space is a tight squeeze between the chicken wire and the fence. I need to move the gardens out another foot in spring. We have nasturiums in 3 colors, red, orange, and yellow. Delicious!  A nice spicy summer green with floral undertones. I enjoy growing edible flowers especially easy and prolific ones.











No comments:

Post a Comment