Thursday, June 5, 2014

Plarn water bottle holders

I made 3 of these, one for each kid. I used bags with 3 different colors printed on them; red & black, spring green & black, and purple & gold. The purple and gold printed bags felt thicker and "stickier" when I was crocheting with them.

I used between 5-6 grocery bags for each water bottle holder. The bags were cut into 1/2" wide plarn. Each bag gave about 52 approximately 17" long loops.

I decided to make in a spiral starting from the bottom. SC worked better for the bottom then any other stitch. Staggered Hdc helped stiffen the bag after the DC turn. Plastic bags are kind of flexible. I ripped out the first water bottle holder several times which really stretched the Plarn.

These are rough directions as I talk to my husband as I crochet. I try to use safety pins and pennies to keep track of where I am but I tend to miscount stitches. That's why I switched to spiral instead of doing concentric rows.

Rough Pattern:
Chain 4 and slip stitch together. (Doesn't matter if there is a hole in the bottom.)

(Bottom and start of side)
Row
  1. 6 single crochet over chain 4 ring
  2. 6 single crochet increases (12 st)
  3. 12 single crochet increases (24 st) (I marked here with a safety pin.)
  4. *single crochet increase, then 2 SC* repeat 8 times (32 st)
  5. DC (32 st)
  6. Staggered DC (see post from 6/4/14 for directions)
  7. DC (32? st)
(Side)
Row 8 - ? Make to about 1/2 - 1" below top of water bottle
  • *2 DC, ch 1 to skip space* repeat until long enough then
  • DC, Hdc, SC (I marked here with a safety pin)
  • SC all around
  • Once meet up with starting SC, slip stitch and chain 50
Take chain 50 and weave through DC row, In theory this should help tighten the top of the holder so the water bottle stays in.

 (Strap)
  • I crocheted in the back of the stitch to make rib. It was basically Ch 3, then 4DC. About 24 rows or so till it's long enough
  • I like to crochet in DC next to ch 3 which gives it a wavy effect. However if you want it more square, skip the DC next to chain and make a DC in the top of the turn chain (TCH)
  • I attached the strap by crocheting to holder.





No comments:

Post a Comment