Sunday, July 17, 2022

7/10-11/22 Got some rhubarb from father-in-law and made 6 pints rhubarb sauce

 I really need to pick my rhubarb but it doesn't hurt to let the plants grow a little bigger. I couldn't pass up free rhubarb. His rhubarb is very tasty.

One large crockpot ends up being about 6 pints.

My basic recipe for a full crockpot worth is

  • about 30cups sliced rhubarb (cut in about 1/2 pieces is better than big pieces)
  • about 3 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 lemon cut in half so it's easier to pick out or a bunch of lemon seeds (Optional- might thicken or not)
You can tell I measure real accurately. Not really. I just adjust the taste at the end.

Then cook to about half its volume, usually overnight on low. Might need to scrape down sides and partially uncover to evaporate excess liquid. If you cut too big of pieces you may have to squish with a spoon against the crockpot sides.













No comments:

Post a Comment