Thursday, May 8, 2014

Crocheting into a foundation chain

So far I have found 4 ways to do this. I always went in the top loop until my crochet club members showed me how to crochet into the back spine of the foundation chain.

There's another variation where you don't do a foundation chain at all which I used when I crocheted socks. However, I think that would be better as a separate post. Remember this blog is a way of organizing my research so it will have lots of miscellaneous stuff. I love learning new ways of doing things!

Foundation Chain appearance

Here's what the top or front of a foundation chain looks like









Here's the bottom or back of a foundation chain. Note the the line of yarn that sticks up and runs down the middle like a spine.















Crocheting into a foundation chain variations

You can put your stitch:

 under the "V" on the front part of the foundation chain.














Under the top loop and hump on the top of the foundation chain. (I wonder it you can crochet under hump and bottom loop? I'll have to try that sometime.)



















Under the top loop only. This is the way I always did it until the members at the crochet club showed me the "spine" method. Top loop method is fast and easy but leaves a loopier edge.

















Under the back bar or spine on the back of the foundation chain. I believe that this is the most popular variation. My crochet club taught it to me and this is the method you find in most crochet books and online tutorials. I read somewhere that you can undo it and leave loops free to work with (possible by knitting) but I haven't tried that yet.


















Here are what the variations look like on finished pieces

Under the "V"
















Under top loop and hump












Under top loop only











Under back spine
















Here's my notes, I used a K hook and this old yarn from my cousin who got it when she cleaned out her Mom's house. Don't worry. Her mom and dad are OK. They just moved to a senior apartment. (Caron Perfect Match, Lilac 7744,  No dye lot yarn, 4 ply worsted weight acrylic, 355yards (325 meters) 7oz. net wt.) I think this light colored yarn works well for visibility. I wonder if I have anymore light colored yarn.

I took all the pictures using ambient light with my trusty durable olympus stylus camera. (I like it because it doesn't break when you drop it and doesn't get destroyed when you're outside in the snow and rain.) I take pictures and write between the business of life in the small spaces of time. You can see that I took the pictures in the evening due to the yellow cast of the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment