Thursday, May 22, 2014

What do you really need to know to crochet?

Well if I go on my experience, you just need the desire to crochet.

My grandma showed me how to crochet rag rugs when I was a kid. She would tear and cut up old clothes into one inch or so strips, sew them end to end, then roll into a ball.

For many years I just crocheted rag rugs with a wooden hook from that my Dad made from a stick on the ground. Wonder whatever happened to that hook? I just crocheted in the top loops of the foundation chain, used single crochet and randomly increased the stitches whenever the rug started to curl. I didn't use or know how to read patterns.

Then when I wanted to learn more, I borrowed books from the library. I also learned a crazy symbol system (that I haven't been able to find since) to translate the American abbreviations in a pattern to a more visual system. There wasn't any internet then and no one had computers at home.

Usually every winter I make slippers. They generally only last one season.  Occasionally I make rag rugs from old T-shirts. I cut them in a spiral to end up in one long strip but don't bother sewing them together. I just crochet them in like adding in new yarn.

I usually crochet while I'm with my husband when he is getting ready for work. I like to keep my hands busy and this way we can talk while I stay out of his way. I am a terrible stitch counter and tend to lose count of the stitches unless I mark every 10th stitch with yarn. However, I'm usually looking at the piece while I crochet and making adjustments as I go. Right now I'm into designing so have been keeping track of my experiments in a notebook or two or three...

I'm using books, internet, and crochet club to learn. Haven't taken any classes. I'm still learning stitches, am in the process of learning the both the American European crochet symbol system. I've also experimented with crocheting other materials besides yarn.

I think it's helpful to know how to
  • make a foundation chain or know how to start a crochet piece
  • know how to slip stitch, single crochet, half double crochet (my favorite, workhorse stitch), and double crochet.
  • know how to add in yarn
  • know how to increase and decrease
  • know how to end a piece.
  • have an idea on how to read patterns
I didn't write down holding the yarn and the hook because most people figure out a way that works best for them. Although I did find 3 ways of holding the hook which I posted on 5/6/14.

I also didn't write down making extended or no foundation chain stitches as I just learned that this year when I made socks. It worked really well for leaving a hole to make the heel. (See posts from 5/19/14 & 5/20/14)



No comments:

Post a Comment